I started writing monthly friends and family updates in June and it has been great for getting our biggest advocates deeply invested in Referly.
Even in the midst of YC, sending these updates makes it easy for me to pump up investor relations and re-engage key supporters, while simultaneously explaining to my family and friends why I’ve been so out of touch.
Looking back, I’m so glad I wrote these just to see how far we’ve come. Enjoy, and I hope you’ll consider this approach for your own investor relations as an early stage company.
They are in reverse chronological order, with pictures:
Hello Referly family, friends, and supporters –
What’s New Since Our Last Update
- shipped collections, product search and private referrals
- shipped our social referrals API (covered in TechCrunch, The Next Web, Betakit, Programmable Web, and Venture Beat)
- shipped the ability to follow profiles of your friends
- shipped our $1 refer-a-friend program (up to $10 per account)
- shipped v1 of our own shopping experience with category shopping pages like Beauty, Toys, and Clothing
- named one of 8 YCombinator companies to watch by PandoDaily
- hired Kate Click, one of our earliest users
- received open source contributions for libraries in Ruby and Python
- followed up with over 200 sales leads who filled out this form (now doing 2-4 sales calls a day)
- did a retrospective on how our website has changed through iterations since launch
- joined Amway and started learning about MLMs
- We are hiring! Both of our interns will be headed back to school in the fall, so we are looking for a full stack software engineer preferably with PHP/Kohana experience. We are also hiring for a full time iOS developer (yes, the app is coming!)
- We are moving! Our lease in Mountain View is not up until the end of November but since we will be competing with 80-something other YC companies we are getting a jump start on securing a space in San Francisco.
- We build fast – send your feedback! We never get tired of hearing it, we’ve got a long wishlist, and you can help us prioritize by using Referlyand letting us know your thoughts and requests.
The walls around the office – deconstructing magazines
Dave got his money back.
Hello there Referly friends, family, and supporters — I hope you had a great 4th of July!
- simplified homepage & public live feed of products being recommended (actually we gave it another facelift earlier too… so you can compare the two if you want)
- suggested recommendations when creating new links
- full list of charity options
- ability to login and post via Twitter
- featured four awesome men and their recommendations (who says social shopping is just for women!)
- set up some helpful internal processes for communicating about code checkins and deployments
- discovered the most incredible cat scratch ever through Referly users!
Cofounder bonding with Al
Hey there wonderfully supportive, patient, and opinionated frien
First day with Hudson the Super Intern! Camped out at Steak Out in MV for some delicious beers
Startups are not glamorous (thank you Al!)
Final days in the Potrero Hill apartment – never got around to furniture and broken our lease. This is the story board for the May launch.